Vintage Books Blurb
“The Republic of Gilead offers Offred only one option: to breed. If she deviates, she will, like all dissenters, be hanged at the wall or sent out to die slowly of radiation sickness. But even a repressive state cannot obliterate desire – neither Offred’s nor that of the two men on which her future hangs.”
The Story of Offred
Offred is a handmaid in Gilead, the future US, which has been overthrown by conservative rebels and returned to what they call traditional values. Women’s rights have been completely reversed. Offred is a handmaiden in this new world, after failing to escape to Canada with her husband and child.
The fertility rates are extremely low in this dystopian future. Women such as Offred are surrogates for infertile wives.
The book is narrated by Offred. We see her daily life and struggles. Her determination to survive for her daughter and to not forget how things used to be.
Why I read it?
I heard about a new show which was starting on channel 4, about a dystopian US future where women have become merely the property of men and baby making machines.
With so much discussion currently taking place in popular culture surrounding feminism, women’s rights in the workplace and a women’s right to choose what happens to her unborn child. I was really interested to read about a world where these questions no longer exist and women are literally the property of men.
- The book flows really well and is easy to read
- Learning about not only the present world of Gilead, but also how it came to be – the book would have been ruined for me if these memories of the past were missed out.
- I found it interesting how quickly people forgot and/or adapted to the new normal.
- I would have liked to find out whether Offred got her daughter back.
- The book ended quite abruptly
Who should read this?
- Anyone who enjoys themes which focus on women and they’re role in scoiety
- Anyone who enjoys dystopian novels
Click Here for more book reviews.